Policy for Adding a New Port
Since every new port for Chromium has a maintenance cost, here are some guidelines for when the project will accept a new port.
- Ports should represent a significant ongoing investment to established platforms, rather than hobby or experimental code.
- These will not have bots on Google-run waterfalls (even FYI).
- Chromium engineers are not expected to maintain them.
- As much as possible, try to use existing branches/ifdefs.
- While changes in src/base are unavoidable, higher level directories shouldn't have to change. i.e. existing porting APIs should be used. We would not accept new rendering pipelines as an example.
- Send an email to src/OWNERS for approval.