Development workflow scripts
These are scripts that can be useful to run independently as you're working on Chrome DevTools front-end.
The newer scripts such as for testing and hosted mode are written in Node.js, which has become the standard toolchain for web apps. The older scripts such as building (e.g. bundling and minifying) are written in Python, which has first-class support in Chromium's infrastructure.
- build - Python package for generating DevTools debug and release mode
- chrome_debug_launcher - automagically finds Chrome Canary and launches it with debugging flags (e.g. remote debugging port)
- closure - see section on Closure Compiler below
- gulp - experimental build process written in node.js & gulp to remove the dependency on Chromium-specific build tools (i.e. gn and ninja)
- hosted_mode - run DevTools on a localhost development server
- compile_frontend.py - runs closure compiler to do static type analysis
- Note: the compiled outputs are not actually used to run DevTools
- optimize_svg_images.py - manually run when changing svg images
The easiest way to run the node.js scripts is to use
npm run which displays all the commands. For more information on the specific
npm run commands, take a look at the primary devtools front-end readme (